I have to start this blog post by saying that although the title may suggest the contrary, you’re absolutely not about to read a 700 word sob story about my sad life so far in 2019.
This light hearted little post was inspired by the fantastic Hannah Gale. I was having a good old scroll right back into her archives when I came across this post, Things That Made Me Cry This Month.
The post basically explains how having a baby has “played absolute fucking havoc” with her emotions. As always the post is honest and relatable and it really got me thinking about, well…crying.
Even without experiencing childbirth and motherhood, my emotions play havoc on me monthly. Actually you know what, daily!
I’ve always been an emotional person, I wear my heart on my sleeve and I feel other peoples emotions to the full extent as if they were my own. It’s a blessing and a curse.
Sometimes I feel I can conquer the world, other times I might cry over a crumb on my bedside table (probably too many bourbons).
I often have hilarious chats with the girls at work about what we’ve unreasonably cried about the night before so I thought it would be great fun to share some of the things that have set me off this year so far.
I hope this list gives you a little giggle and reminds you that sometimes, all you need is a good cry – no matter how silly it feels!
- An old, scruffy looking cat walking across the courtyard. Honestly just thinking about this poor little thing is almost making me tear up again. Admittedly I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to cats.
- The Gillette advert. If you haven’t seen it, it’s here. The messaging in this advert hit me SO hard and despite the backlash some people threw at it, I felt it hit the mark perfectly.
- Spilling cake batter on my new green jumper. But then I ate some of the said batter which made things a bit better. God that was a tongue twister…maybe I’ll cry about that?
- We’d just got home from doing the food shop and Chris turned to me as we were unpacking it and said ‘did you want a hot drink by the way?’ I thought it was a little bit random so I replied and he pulled out a mug he’d bought for me which said ‘Olive You’ on the front. SO CUTE.
- Finding mould in our flat. Enough said.
- Feeling overwhelmed with work, my blog, my health, Instagram, exercise, keeping the flat tidy, having a social life, saving money, texting people back, all that stuff that is seemingly impossible to do in 24 hours.
- Watching a video back of my gorgeous little cousin Robin putting one of her cat toys to bed saying in the cutest voice ever ‘cat cat I love the cat’. It honestly is too much to handle.
- Being ill. Like so many other people at this time of year I was completely knocked out by an absolute monster of a virus. The guilt of taking two days off work, putting everything on hold and feeling really really really crap. And then running out of Olbas Oil.
You’re either thinking about unfollowing me because I’m clearly a very unstable person OR you’re feeling relieved that you’re not the only one who gets set off by a limping animal. I hope it’s the latter.
I want to share more of this kinda content on my blog, I think it’s so important for us to be able to share how we’re feeling and realise that actually, fluctuating emotions is totally natural.
Sometimes you just gotta let it all out!
What’s the last thing you cried about?